Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Audition 5

Last weekend I auditioned at Northwestern University. It is in the suburban town of Evanston, just outside of Chicago. I had not been given much information about the audition; it contrasted greatly with Oberlin. I got to the campus and checked in in the Admissions office before heading upstairs to warm-up and rehearse. The practice rooms were spacious with really nice pianos. Once I was done warming up, I waited for my audition. I wasn't really sure where to go or what to do, but luckily I found some other applicants waiting for their auditions as well. This audition, much like NYU's was held in a classroom, not in any recital hall. I was third on the list for that day. I waited as the boy and girl who were before me performed for the panel. When it was my turn I stepped into a tiny classroom with seven voice faculty members starring back at me. 

I was greeted warmly and asked to start with anything I wanted. So naturally, as always, I sang "In Uomini" first. I got great responsive reactions from the panel. I love it when they seem interested in what you are doing. I know that no high school singer will blow them away, it's simply not possible, but as I said before I really don't like the death glares. Anyway, the panel was very friendly, which encouraged me to convey my pieces. I know that there will always be someone negatively reviewing my work as a singer, and I know I need to get used to that. I'm just saying, positive responses are nice too. I digress... Once "In Uomini" was over, the panel got to chose my next piece. So far it had been "O Sleep" 2: "Notre Amour" 1. They chose "Notre Amour," evening the score. 

I think it really was in response to the panel's welcoming spirit that I interpreted "Notre Amour" the way I did. It is a very emotional song in the sense that it is a woman pouring out her utter joy and happiness over her love for someone, but it is subdued. It is light and lyrical, not robust, so when performing it one must convey a vastness of emotion through a soft and lyrical valve. I felt very comfortable being in front of that audience, and I think that is why I performed with confidence. I think I gave myself over to the meaning of the words more so than I ever have. 

When I was done auditioning, I felt very good about my audition, and I have come to understand that that is all one can ask for. Whether I was up to their standards or not is not an issue. Whether I performed to my best ability or not is. I was very comfortable and content with my performance. However, they asked me in my audition which schools were at the top of my list. Well, I didn't say Northwestern at the very top, but I said it was close. Everyone said I should have said Northwestern was my number one even if it wasn't. Well, I guess I learned a lesson about kissing ass. But in all seriousness, networking, who you know, and how to behave in front of certain people is really important in an opera career. 

I felt good about my audition though. So whatever happens happens. Northwestern is extremely appealing because it offers a university campus, a big city near by, as well as a renowned music program. It actually is near the top of my list. Maybe I just should have said I didn't know yet. Oh well, now I wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment