Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Background

I thought I would give some more background about me and my interest in opera. I have always loved performing, in any avenue I saw fit. Be it dancing on the table at family reunions or performing in a school play, I was doing it. I first fell in love with theater though when I was in the fifth grade. I landed a part in the school musical, "Tom Sawyer," and from then on, my passion for performance has completely proliferated. That was the genesis for my love of acting, but one summer I participated in an acting camp at Footlight Players. After completing the camp and putting on the show, the director asked to speak with me. He told me I could really have a future in theater, if I could learn to sing. And from then on out, I have been studying voice with a teacher. I studied a little bit of basic classical repertoire as well as a basis in musical theater. However, last summer, I applied for the Oklahoma City University summer classical voice program, and I was accepted. After attending the program I fell completely and utterly in love with classical music and opera in particular. Since then I have been trying to master classical technique and learn as much as I can about the realities of a career as an opera singer. My senior project plays directly into those things. I have decided to focus on the singer and the career. I have planned to interview both local and national opera singers, opera singer hopefuls, or past opera singers. I want to take all of their advice on living as an opera singer in the real world, and apply it to my life. I also want to focus on their advice for technique and repertoire, which will ameliorate me as a singer. All of this will help with my final performance at the end of the year, culminating all of their words of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment