Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Mozart Effect

This month I read the "Mozart Effect," which really explained the science behind the concept of my project. I have always believed in the beneficial effects of classical music for all ages, but by reading the book I now understand the scientific reasons why it works. The term "Mozart Effect" was first coined by Frances Rauscher and Katherine Ky in 1993. One of the first experiments involved listening to three different tapes and subsequently taking a new IQ test, after already having a baseline IQ test to compare it to. One group listened to Mozart, one listened to a relaxation tape, and one group listened to nothing. Amazingly, the people who listened to Mozart (Sonata in D) tape's IQs went up. It wasn't much, but it made enough buzz to get funding for more research on this phenomenon. Later studies revealed that listening to classical music, not just Mozart of course, increase and stimulate the cortical firings in the brain, making it easier to learn and retain knowledge, which is why it is so beneficial for children. However, by stimulating the cortical firings, it can also stimulate brain activity in elderly. Classical music was also found to aid in treatment for all ages. Reading this book helped me understand why my project actually works. It also helps me explain it to other people who don't understand what I am trying to accomplish with this. Reading this book also influenced my decision to go to a nursing home and not just limit my platform to children. Now that I know how it really affects the brain all ages, I want to continue visiting nursing homes as well as schools.


No comments:

Post a Comment