Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

In Uomini, In Soldati

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJVdO36iao&feature=plcp

Okay, so I really was't very happy with how this song turned out, mostly just because I have done it so much better. I worked on this song this past summer with a Juilliard professor, Dr. Robert White, while I was at NYU, and it was just a lot better then. So, it's hard for me to listen to all the things I did wrong, but I have to accept that this was the last song I did when I made my audition videos, and it is what it is. Hopefully it will be enough for me to get through pre-screenings. Some of my high notes were a touch under pitch, and my breath control was all over the place, but I was exhausted. I have been singing this song forever. I sang it at OCU two summers ago for a recital, I sang it at NYU, I sang it at the Miss Charleston Pageant, I sang it at the Miss South Carolina pageant. Now I think I am done with this song. I'm just ready to try something new. I really want to learn the other Despina aria from Cosi fan Tutte! Here is a link to Cecilia Bartoli (an extremely famous and amazing opera singer ) singing "Una Donna a Quindici Anni"  (the other aria sung by Despina from Cosi Fan Tutte)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXz3ilXrxs

With both songs you can tell this character has a lot of attitude, which shines through her arias. Despina is the maid of the two other girls (seen in Una Donna), Dorabella and Fiordiligi. In Mozart's time, the poorer people were often the wiser ones. Therefore, Despina, the maid, is giving Fiordiligi and Dorabella advice in both instances, with a tone of sarcasm of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment