Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Leontyne Price: Part One



Leontyne Price broke down racial barriers. She, with her effortless silky voice, had such a beautiful instrument, such a presence on the stage, such a star quality, that no one could hear or look at her and think anything but of how great her talent was. She was an African American, born in 1927, in Mississippi, a state highly concentrated by the evils of racism. She made it out though. She not only made it out, but she created her own supreme level of stardom and admiration, nearly unparalleled in the opera world. 

She began playing the piano in kindergarten, and her love of music drove her to pursue a degree in music education. But one fateful day, while accompanying a church choir on piano, someone noticed her incredible singing voice. Another thing I have noticed from my readings, that I touched on after I read Shirley Verrett's autobiography, is that some talent simply cannot be ignored, and as much as the rest of us would like to think that hard work, determination, and perseverance will get us to the top, sometimes the most talented get there first and much faster. 

I am not saying that Leontyne Price did not work hard, for she invariably did. However, a talent like hers was obvious. It was a talent that could not be ignored. It was a talent that made her indelible in the memories of many. It was a talent that was uniquely harnessed. 

While I was reading her book I thought that she was actually quite lucky not to have more racial obstacles to overcome. She of course faced racism from the world, but she conquered a point of view. She has been heralded, revered, and appreciated by flocks, herds, droves of people world-wide. I think that is actually incredible. The fact that because of her talent, people were, in the midst of a brewing storm of racism, able to view her talent instead of the color of her skin. It is crazy that a talent can do that. 

I will be posting more as I read about her actual ascent to fame as well as her career once it really took off. I will be posting about any obstacles I read about in her later life as well as her near cult-like following that erupted from the adoration produced by her stardom. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTuvi2IgFSk

Here is a link of her singing. She is amazing. See what you think and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment