Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Listening

As interesting and informing as reading and researching opera is, it makes one want to listen more and more. When I read about a critic describing the lucid and shimmering voice of a famous soprano, the next thing I know I am on youtube hanging on her every note. Having a good ear is vital to the career of a musician. It's not just an ear in the the very structured musical sense, but it is the ability to differentiate between musical ability and the technicality of a singer. To be able to hear the difference between good and great even is vital. So many people are just not exposed to it and therefore cannot tell a difference, resulting in a lack of appreciation. That is something else I have learned this year through my project: appreciating something like opera is an active process. You almost need to have background knowledge and be culturally seasoned. Unlike watching a modern music video or listening to a pop song, you have to actively be engaged to enjoy and appreciate opera. Most of the time it is in a different language, which requires constant reading and listening for translations and familiar words. The music is very complex, and appreciating the musicians that so seamlessly produce it is also vital. One cannot simply go to the opera and watch while thinking about something else. One won't understand or appreciate unless all the senses are used. That is why people always have an opinion about opera because it is such a conscious experience; if you are putting that much effort into appreciating and valuing that kind of intellectual and emotional experience, you better have an opinion about it. I think that is one that thing that is so fascinating about the arts, everyone can invest themselves in a piece of art, music, or dance, and come out having an established opinion, that no one can take from them. This brings me to my point that listening and seeing opera is so incredibly vital. 
I found out that the Charleston Public Library has live screenings of the Met Operas about twice a month. I think it would be incredibly beneficial for me to go watch them and try to establish my own opinions on what I see. The more I watch the more seasoned my musical palette will become. I think it will also be a very important extension of my project itself. I have read about all the famous operas as well as many obscure ones, and to be able to see them "live" with real singers and actors will really help solidify their importance in my mind. It will also help me personally as a singer to get to see the professionals interpretations and techniques. I can't wait to get started!

http://www.ccpl.org/content.asp?action=detail&catID=5367&id=77004&parentID=5368

Here is a link to the Charleston Public Library Met Screenings schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment