Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Classics for a Cause?


Okay! So, I really love getting people excited about classical music, and I want to expand it into the Charleston community as much as possible. I am trying to plan a benefit concert for the end of the year. It will involve multiple examples of classical music manifested in various art forms. I will have my dance class perform a classical ballet routine and the upper school choir at my school, the Red Choir, sing two or three classical choral numbers. I will also perform a few of the pieces I have been working on all year. This will serve as a huge culmination of every facet of my project I have been developing over the year. I want this concert to be geared towards children and adults; it should be informative and fun. I still need to think about marketing strategies, but I want as many people to come as possible. I also have had to think about venue. It must be a place with reasonable acoustics as well as an appropriate space for dance. Oh, and it needs to be cheap. Right now, I am considering my church; it holds about 500 or 600 people and has adequate acoustics and dance space. I also need to consider repertoire that has a reasonable level of cohesion, information, and fun. I have about five months, but I need to start planning right now. I have chosen a tentative date of May 2, 2013, which is right before APs. Hopefully it will work for everyone involved with my plan. Also, by having the red choir as well as my dance class involved, I will be exposing even more people to the classical music I love and believe in so much. The final component of my project I need to plan is where the money raised at this benefit concert will be given. I want to give the money to children who don't have the money to attend private music lessons on their own. I plan to contact the South Carolina Board of the Arts to see about possible sponsorship. While all of this is tentative, by getting this in the works now, I can have a better flowing concert by the end of the school year! I will keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment